District 197 is proud to offer a wide range of school options for families. While we encourage parents to enroll their child at their neighborhood elementary or middle school, we know that families may wish to attend a school other than the one in their attendance area, such as one of our magnet schools. If you are a resident of School District 197 and would like your child(ren) to attend a school other than your neighborhood school, you must request an intra-district transfer. This transfer must be requested prior to the year in which enrollment is requested. For the 2017-18 school year, transfers can be requested starting on November 7, 2016.
Please note: This process does not apply to existing transfers (resident students currently in grades K-3 or 5-7 who are attending schools outside of their attendance area and continuing at that school in 2017-18). No additional paperwork is needed for these students. Siblings of existing transfers who are entering kindergarten or grade 5 and also looking to attend schools outside their attendance area in 2017-18 must complete a transfer form.
Click Here to Request an Intra-District Transfer
WHO SHOULD COMPLETE A TRANSFER REQUEST FORM?
Complete a transfer request form if your child is:
- A resident student entering kindergarten and you would like them to attend a District 197 elementary school other than the one in your attendance area for 2017-18.
- A resident student entering 5th grade and you would like them to attend a District 197 middle school other than the one in your attendance area (based on your home address, not the elementary school you are currently attending) for 2017-18.
- A non-resident student entering 5th grade and you would like them to attend a District 197 middle school other than the one in your attendance area (based on the elementary school currently attending) for 2017-18.
- A resident or non-resident student who was enrolled in District 197 in 2016-17, entering grades 1-4 or 6-8 and you would like them to attend a district elementary or middle school other than the one they attended in 2016-17 or one that is outside your attendance area for 2016-17.
Complete a transfer request form for each child applying to enroll in a non-attendance area school.
Click here for additional assistance determining whether you should submit a transfer request form.
Resident = Primary residence is within the boundaries of School District 197
Non-resident = Primary residence is outside the boundaries of School District 197
District 197 only allows you to select one preferred school choice at a time. If your request is not approved, it will be placed on a hold list and reviewed again during the next review period. If you choose to change your preferred choice to another school, you will need to submit a new request. By doing so, you will lose your current place in line with your previous request. At any point in the process, you may withdraw your request and attend your home attendance boundary school.
WHEN CAN A TRANSFER BE REQUESTED?
Starting November 7, 2016, transfers may be requested online for the 2017-18 school year. Paper request forms in English and Spanish are also available at any elementary or middle school office.
Transfer requests can be submitted during four periods, November 7, 2016-May 26, 2017. Requests for the 2017-18 school year will not be accepted after May 26, 2017.
Transfer request periods:
- November 7, 2016-January 6, 2017
- January 7-March 3, 2017
- March 4-April 14, 2017
- April 15-May 26, 2017
Once a request period is closed, families can expect to be notified within two weeks whether their transfer has been accepted, denied or put on hold. All notifications will be sent by first class mail.
HOW WILL TRANSFER DECISIONS BE MADE?
Transfer decisions will be determined by a committee of district administrators and principals. We encourage families to apply early. Decisions will be made on a space-available basis.
Students who meet the following criteria will be given priority placement in the order below:
- Students who will be moving to a different attendance area in the fall and want to stay at the current school.
- Siblings in a Level III District special education program at the site.
- Siblings of students currently enrolled at the site.
- Children of individuals employed at the site.
- Children attending childcare in the attendance area.
- Interest in a magnet theme.
- Other circumstances
Click here to read through our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you have any additional questions, please contact your current or attendance area school:
Garlough | Mendota | Moreland | Pilot Knob | Somerset | Friendly Hills | Heritage | Henry Sibley